[Cobalt Matters] Online Session
Discussing Tips for Remote Working
During our first [Cobalt Matters] session this year, we discussed tips & advice for remote working. We’ve been in home office since the beginning of March due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Shortly after adopting this new work style, we had our first online [Cobalt Matters] session.
This session was a bit different compared to our usual office gatherings on Fridays during which we discuss various topics along with fresh fruits and a cup of tea. This time, we all joined an online event from our home offices and had a fun session talking about our experience with working from home.
Some of our team members have been working remotely for years, some did for a few months or weeks but others recently started trying it out. Now, we have the opportunity to test out remote working with the whole team.
Our work method won’t change that much. We already had our own devices and we’ve been using online tools to organize our work. We take this as a challenge to improve the way we work together and communicate.
Since many of us are working from home nowadays, we shared the outcomes of our [Cobalt Matters] session in this article. You’ll find out how to keep things organized when it comes to remote working & how to keep it fun for the team.
We encourage everybody to try to work from home – if possible – and keep your social interactions to minimal.
Check out our advice for remote working below! 👇
Here Are Our Takeaways on Remote Working
- Get up & get ready → it is important to have a morning routine and to get “ready for work”. We recommend using the The Fabulous app for setting up morning routines & sticking to them.
- Stick to a schedule → establish a schedule to make sure you stick to work. This also helps your colleagues know when to get in touch with you. For example, we highlight our weekly schedule on our Google Calendar.
- You home set-up is important → it helps if you have a work space. Try to set up your work corner and stick to working from an office (if you can) to be productive. Have some headphones nearby, in case you have a meeting. You home set-up doesn’t have to be the same as your work desk but make sure you have the basics. Get inspired here & set up your own small home office. 🙌
- Keep an eye out on your tools → getting in touch is with your colleagues isn’t the same, you can’t just walk up to their desk anymore. That’s why it’s important to keep an eye on the tools you use. And enable important notifications to stay up to date with the latest updates & changes.
- Keep in touch → make sure you reply to threads and always share your opinion on the matters that impact you. It helps if you indicate your status on your work chat so that people know when they can interrupt you. For example, we use Slack, we enable mentions and notifications from important channels & we always try to give an answer as soon as somebody writes. Even if we can’t reply at that moment, we indicate it.
- Schedule meetings → for important discussions organize meetings to ensure that everybody is up to date with the latest information. Keep in touch with your team, involve every member in the discussions and have some fun together.
- If it weren’t for the current situation, we’d encourage you to schedule as many activities you can outside of work. It is important to keep up with friends, be active and engage in social activities. Until the situation gets better, schedule online meetings with friends & family to keep in touch and try to do some exercises at home. You can easily fit exercises in your schedule using the 7 Minute Workout app (iOS & Android). Also, lots of world-class museums have virtual tours you can enjoy from home. Check out this extended article with museums that offer virtual tours or see a briefer list if you short on time. Enjoy! 😉
What you need to keep in mind is that you can’t over-communicate (#motto). Consider this and you’ll be one step closer to a stronger team and a stronger business.
These are all our tips and advice for remote working. Considering we already have some experience working from home and that all the tools we have can be used online, we are confident this will be a good experience for our team, too.
If you can, take advantage of this time to improve your communication, get stronger as a team and work on your organization. Follow the advice of the authorities, stay safe and let’s see each other in good health!
Join Our Newsletter
Here at Cobalt Sign, we’re building apps for iOS and Android since 2011 and we love every part of it. We always stay up to date with the latest technologies, app news and know-hows.
Subscribe to our newsletter and every few months, read our stories right in your inbox.